Saturday, September 24, 2011

Healthy Hummus Rolls

Hetal, Hope you enjoy this recipe!

This is seriously great and easy to make too! It's healthy and great to have at anytime. You can wrap these up in foil and have them cold as well and they taste as good and is a great lunch idea to pack and take with you. I especially love these for my movie evenings so that we can all sit in front of the TV with our rolls and enjoy a great meal with a good movie. Oh and did I mention they were low on the calories too?

The other day I had posted the Best Spicy Chutney Ever and this is one of the dishes that you can slather this chutney on (depending on, of course your tolerance for chilies) and absolutely enjoy it

I would say you should provision for 2 roti rolls per person, they are pretty heavy. You can get your rotis made in advance or on the spot, doesn't matter (so long as the rotis aren't like 2 days old or something)

Ingredients:
4 rotis
2 chicken breasts (or around 2 cups boneless chicken)
OR
2 packet mushrooms (around 250 gms)
Half a cabbage (put in that slicer so that it looks like shreds)
Hummus (I'm going to post the recipe soon, you can just buy a jar or make your own)
Spicy chutney (see recipe here)
1 carrot cut into sticks and soaked for at least an hour in Vinegar
Olive Oil, Salt and Pepper
mixed Herbs 9the dried ones that are normally in your kitchen cupboard forever)


Method:
Take the Chicken (after the obvious cleaning and washing) chop it up into small bits, take 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a non stick pan, saute the chicken, add salt pepper and herbs and cook it (this will take you not more that 5 minutes)
OR
If you are vegetarian and are using mushrooms: clean and cut the mushrooms into quarters, take 1 tsp olive oil in a non stick pan and saute with salt pepper and herbs. keep on the heat till the water dries out

After that everything is just assembling the roll together

Take the roti, put a generous amount of Hummus on it, put some of the cabbage, add a few sticks of the carrots, put in the chicken or mushroom, dollop on the spicy chutney and roll it up together. What would be a good idea is if you roll these up in foil so when eating you can unwrap them easily and they stay together very well

I kind of call this my version of the Shawarma but only this one is totally non greasy and totally easy to make at home!

Sorry guys I don't have a picture but hope to get some good pictures of my food in my next post!

4 comments:

  1. very interesing recipe.I haven't tried this version of shawarma.Thanks or sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Do let me know how it turns out!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yum! I'm going to try it for sure:-)..thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me know how it went after you've tried it!

    ReplyDelete