Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Tuesday Cooking Tip: Correcting the Salt


Correcting the Salt


I know we all have had days when we've made this beautiful dish and then, in our enthusiasm have just put waaay too much salt and then you're like, "Oh my God!!!! What have I done?? How can I redeem this dish?" Also, sometimes you absolutely forget to put salt in stuff like rice or pasta and then you are like, how can I change that? so here are a few handy tips for the same.

Tip 1: Using Sea Salt versus Normal Salt 

  1. I always prefer to use Sea Salt or coarse salt in my food, it takes a while to get used to and understand the proportions for this kind of salt but it is much healthier and, I believe, much better tasting
  2. You should ideally use sea salt in a pepper mill to get crushed so that you don't have huge chucks of it in your food
  3. Sea Salt takes more time to dissolve into the gravy of your dish, so wait for a little while before you start adding salt everywhere
  4. Sea Salt locally is called Jaara Namak (Fat Salt) and you can get it anywhere

Tip 2: Too Much Salt in my Gravy

 The easiest one is to add raw potatoes into the dish and boil it, they will absorb the additional salt and you can serve them in the dish once they are cooked or then discard them
  1. Mash boiled potato into the gravy - good for thick gravies
  2. Puree of tomato into the dish - good for almost all our tomato based Indian dishes
  3. You can take 1 tsp oil and saute one fistful of cashew nut paste (fistful of cashews with a bit of water whizzed up into a paste) and add to the gravy - for your kormas, stews etc...
  4. Add Sugar - for stuff like butter chicken, tomato soups 
  5. Add lemon juice -  good for salads and steamed vegetables etc...
  6. Add boiled sweet corn - for like your palak paneer and other palak based dishes
  7. And my favourite... add coconut milk.. yummy!!! :) 

Tip 3: Too less Salt in my Rice/Pasta
  1. For rice - Add 1 cup of water mixed with 1 tsp of salt to the rice and give it a quick boil
  2. For the pasta - add a touch more salt in your pasta gravy to balance out the lack of in the pasta


1 comment: