Thursday, April 8, 2010

Salt Water Grill Café’s new menu Spring 2010









Commencing now is the new and improved menu at Salt water Grill café at Bandra Reclamation. This bright young chef has come up with some interesting permutations and combinations mixing flavour with cutting edge cooking methods to tickle and tease our palettes. Although some of the popular dishes have remained, most of the menu dishes have been tweaked or replaced altogether.

Recommendations:

The Cocktails including the watermelon Mojito and dirty martini were well executed and well balanced as well as a pleasure to look at. Amongst the soups I would recommend the Shiitake Tea, mushroom, and green asparagus soup. The Porcini Mac and Cheese was a tasteful delight even though I would not recommend it for a person on a diet it is absolutely rich and delicious. The BBQ Pork Pot Belly was highly recommended, looked delicious and my colleagues all said it was par excellence. The beef had a very unique whiskey mustard sauce which was a delight and a pleasure to eat. The Parma Ham and orange Zest paste made no use of the soba noodles nor did I get the flavour of the orange zest but I did like the feel and smooth finish of the dish and overall it did appeal to me. The clear winner and star of the evening was the 8 hour braised Australian lamb shank which was so juicy and tender it melts in your mouth.

Not so recommendations

Although there was nothing that I absolutely hated, I might not necessarily order these dishes again if I go back; either because the other dishes were so delicious or simply because these were not completely so. The Surf and Carpaccio was innovative and a delight to look at, though I didn’t particularly enjoy the two flavours together. I enjoyed the use of local ingredients (namely the Pav) in the lamb Vindaloo and even though the pulled lamb was sufficiently succulent the coming together of flavours didn’t pack the punch that that I had wanted. The Rawas and the trout although had nice delicate flavours and combinations were both overcooked.

Overall I had a wonderful evening trying out the new menu and I do believe that the young team including the chef has brilliant potential for the future. I would recommend going and doing a quick checking out for yourself at this innovative establishment.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment